Each spring semester, eligible students are invited to apply for the University Scholars program. The extensive online application consists of a personal data page, 3 one-page essays (Essay A, Essay B, and Essay C), a one page bibliography for Essay B, a one page short story (following a prompt), an unofficial transcript, and a recommendation form. The essays, bibliography, short story, and transcript should all be combined and uploaded as a single PDF into the application portal.
Reference form guidelines:
The University Scholars Program application requires a reference to be submitted on your behalf. The reference is a brief form, rather than a recommendation letter. Please provide the name and email address of the TAMU faculty or staff member who will be providing your reference. An email immediately be sent to the email address provided, so please ensure that you enter the correct TAMU email address.
You are welcome to use a professor, research advisor, student organization advisor, employer/manager, TEaching Assistan, PI, or another mentor who can speak to your academic and/or leadership abilities. THE PERSON WRITING THE RECOMMENDATION FORM MUST HAVE A UIN AND NET-ID. THEY MUST BE CURRENTLY EMPLOYED BY TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY - COLLEGE STATION. GRADUATE STUDENTS ARE ACCEPTABLE REFERENCE FORM WRITERS IF THEY HAVE INSTRUCTED YOU AS A TEACHING ASSISTANT OR MENTORED YOU IN A RESEARCH CONTEXT. A TEXAS A&M UNDERGRADUATE IS NOT ABLE TO WRITE A REFERENCE FORM FOR YOU UNDER ANY CONDITIONS.
You are responsible for ensuring that your reference is submitted by February 27, 2020 at 5pm
. Any application not supported by a reference will not be considered.
Additional application guidelines:
- Your Essay A, Essay B, Essay C, and Short Story each must be formatted in the following way before being combined as a single PDF: one page, single spaced, and Times New Roman, 12 point font size. You must also include a works cited formatted in the style of your choice for your Essay B.
- Your essays, bibliography, story and transcript should be combined into one PDF and uploaded into the portal.
- All documents must be PDF files and will not be uploaded if they are not.
- If you have not saved the previous sections, please click the Previous button and do so before exiting the application.
Application is located at: http://launchportal.tamu.edu/
Essay A: Who Are You? Do not include your name in your response.
Essay B: Describe a problem or a need in society that you would like to address in your life after college and present possible solutions. Define the magnitude of this problem with data, statistics and quotes from authorities.
Essay C: The year is 2032. You live in the Republic of Crozmochech. There are two main ethno-linguistic groups in your country: the Crozmochech and the Milyuhneqh. The Milyuhneqh are a minority, compared to the Crozmochech, and you are a part of the Milyuhneqh. Since 1999, the same leader from the Crozmochech National Party has been in power. Your ethnic group attends separate schools and lives in separate neighborhoods in your capital city. You cannot be instructed in your mother tongue and you are often harassed when caught speaking your language outside of the home. Several of your family members have been assaulted for wearing traditional dress during your sacred days. The Milyuhneqh’s human rights have been continually violated.
Later this week, two distinct Milyuhneqh community leaders will be leading political strategizing organizing meetings. Community Leader A – is going to be planning a revolution to bring about a new government. They have read extensively on international law and revoluiontary theory throughout their time at university and they plan to have a wholly just revolution. Community Leader B – is going to be planning a series of boycotts, sitins, marches, and other forms of non-violent resistance to bring about a new government. They have read extensively on peace movements and theories of non-violence throughout their time at university, and they plan to have a wholly just revolution. Which movement will you take part in and why? What is the ideal way to change a brutal and oppressive society?
Story: Write a short story using the following first and last sentences
First Sentence: I jumped out of bed, and ran to put on my elephant costume.
Last Sentence: From that day forward, I learned to never challenge a Capoeira master on an empty stomach.
Transcript: Download a copy of your unofficial transcript and combined it with all of your documents (Essays, Short Story, Bibliography.
To be invited to apply for the University Scholars program, students must
- Be a second semester Freshman at Texas A&M University-College Station
- Have established a cumulative GPR of 3.5 or better
The selection committee looks for candidates looks for candidates who demonstrate:
- intellectual curiosity and adaptability
- a depth of critical thinking and self-awareness
- poise, maturity, and professionalism
- the ability to engage in rigorous conversation
- Applications typically open January 15, 2020
- Application deadline is February 25, 2020 at 5pm.
- Reference form must be submitted by February 27, 2020 at 5:00pm CST.
- Finalists are notified in mid-late March
- Interviews: April 6, 2020 - April 9, 2019
- Final Decisions: Sent out by June 1, 2020