Foundations of Continued Undergraduate Success (FOCUS) is a learning community that allows first-year students to discover more about themselves while building a foundation for a successful undergraduate experience.
Students who participate in FOCUS are Regents’ Scholarship recipients who are pursuing degrees in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, the Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Public Health, or the Department of Biology in the College of Science.
In partnership with the Texas A&M Health Science Center's College of Medicine and Irma Lerma Rangel College of Pharmacy, the College of Veterinary Medicine, and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, students in FOCUS can choose to apply to one of the four optional scholar tracks:
- Animal Science
Through professional staff guidance, monthly activities, peer mentoring experiences, and specialized academic support services, students build a collaborative community dedicated to enhancing their first-year experience at Texas A&M University.
FOCUS Learning Outcomes: C.A.R.E.
- Build strong, supportive connections with peers, faculty, and staff
- Find and utilize a mentor or guide to assist and support throughout the college experience
- Become an active, involved member of the TAMU community
- Collaborate with peers to achieve personal and group success/goals
- Identify and implement characteristics and skills of a successful college student
- Utilize resources for personal and academic growth
- Increase self-management skills and take purposeful action in pursuit of goals
- Accept responsibility and ownership of actions and decisions
- Demonstrate respect for people, ideas, culture, and perspectives that are similar or different than one’s own ideologies
- Demonstrate effective communication by giving and receiving constructive feedback, utilizing appropriate means of communication for the intended audience, and articulating sound judgment
- Clarify educational and personal goals
- Identify and define personal strengths, values, beliefs and areas for improvement, and take ownership of individual actions