Home > National Fellowships
> About National Fellowships
> Barry Goldwater Scholarship
Barry Goldwater Scholarship
Campus Deadline: Pre-Application (November 15, 2016)/Online Application (December 16, 2016)
The Barry Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Program is an undergraduate scholarship of up to $7,500 per year. Established by Congress, the Goldwater Scholarship is for rising junior and senior STEM students planning careers in research. Texas A&M may nominate up to 4 students per year.
The Goldwater is open to students in math, natural science, and engineering who intend to pursue research careers in those fields. Applicants must be either sophomores or juniors with a minimum 3.0 GPA. This scholarship is available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Please view further eligibility requirements here
You are a good fit for the Goldwater if you:
- Have an excellent GPA (3.7 or higher) with no/few grades of B or C in STEM courses,
- Have extensive research experience (2-3 years or more), and
- Have presentations, publications, or patents in your name
As part of the online application, a student must submit:
- A 3-page research essay
- 3 short essays on Professional Aspirations, Motivation, and Personal Information
- 3 Recommendations
More details about the applications can be found here
All applicants must complete the pre-application by November 15, 2016.
All application materials must be submitted for campus review by December 16, 2016.
Jamaica Afiya Pouncy, National Fellowships coordinator: email@example.com
- Up to 300 scholarships are awarded nationally each year.
- Students of medicine can apply only if they intend to pursue careers in research, rather than clinical practice.
- Sophomore applicants who receive the Goldwater for junior year may renew the scholarship for senior year.
- Texas A&M does not hold internal interviews for the Goldwater selection process.