Dean's Excellence Awards
Closed on 6/1/2021 at 5:00 PM.
The Gathright Phi Kappa Phi Dean's Excellence awards were created to recognize top first-year and sophomore students for their achievements. All eligible students are encouraged to apply.
Application DetailsThe Gathright Phi Kappa Phi Dean's Excellence awards were created to recognize top first-year and sophomore students for their achievements. This university-wide award is presented annually to two (2) freshman students and two (2) sophomores in each college who display exceptional promise. The award is administered in partnership with the TAMU chapter of Phi Kappa Phi, one of the oldest and most prestigious honor societies in the world. The goal of the Dean's Excellence awards is to identify and honor those students who exemplify the Phi Kappa Phi motto to "let the love of learning rule humanity."
The top freshman and sophomore recognition in each college is designated as the Gathright Phi Kappa Phi Dean's Excellence Award.
Applications Due: 5:00 PM Tuesday, June 1, 2021 (No Exceptions)
Letters of recommendation are due by 5:00 PM Thursday, June 3, 2021
Semifinalists Announced: Mid-Late August
Finalists Announced: Mid-Late September
September Awardees Announced: Mid-Late October
All applicants must be fulltime students and a member of the awarding college (as shown in university records). Applicants must not possess a record of academic dishonesty or any student conduct violations.
To compete in the Freshman category a student must have been admitted to TAMU through the Freshman admissions process in the fall or spring semester immediately preceding the application due date.
To compete in the Sophomore category a student must have completed at least 2 but no more than 4 fall/spring semesters at any institution by the application due date.
Completed applications consist of 5 documents formatted according to the guidelines below.
5 Required Documents
- Personal Statement
- Research and/or Creative Production
- Community Engagement
- Unofficial TAMU Transcript
5 Required Documents Explained
Research and/or Creative Production
- Discuss your background and interests in relation to both your short-term goals and life ambitions. Remember that a good personal statement not only answers the question, 'what?' but also the question, 'why?'.
- Discuss any research you have conducted or are currently conducting and/or any creative endeavors you pursue (music, art, theatre, creative writing, etc.). Remember that reviewers will not necessarily be experts in your field.
- Discuss the ways in which you engage with your university, local, national, or even international community. How do you find meaning in this engagement? What have you learned from the experience?
Unofficial TAMU transcript
- Explain any notable milestones or achievements and contextualize them within your interests and goals.
- The transcript should come from Howdy. Applicants should select the option for a PDF version of the transcript.
Document Formatting Requirements
Your will enter your recommender's information in the application online, and they will receive an email prompt to upload their letters online. Please let your recommenders know to await an e-mail from DeansExcellence@tamu.edu titled “Reference Requested for Dean’s Excellence Award at TAMU” with a link to an online portal through which they may submit your letter of recommendation.
- With the exception of transcripts, each document should be:
- 12pt font
- No longer than 1 page
This application form has moved. To apply click here.