Each spring semester, eligible students are invited to apply for the University Scholars program. The extensive online application consists of a personal data page, 3 one-page essays (Essay A, Essay B, and Essay C), a one page bibliography for Essay B, a one page short story (following a prompt), an unofficial transcript, and a recommendation form. The essays, short story, and transcript should all be combined and uploaded as a single PDF into the application portal.
Reference form guidelines:
The University Scholars application requires a reference to be submitted on your behalf. The reference is a brief form, rather than a recommendation letter. Please provide the name and email address of the TAMU faculty or staff member who will be providing your reference. An email will immediately be sent to the email address provided, so please ensure you enter the correct TAMU email address.
You are welcome to use a professor, research advisor, student organization advisor, employer/manager, or another mentor who can speak to your academic and /or leadership abilities, so long as that person is affiliated with Texas A&M. Graduate or Undergraduate students cannot serve as references for this application. Please be aware that only those with a university NETID will be able to access the reference form. Your reference should not be provided by a family friend, neighbor, religious leader or employer outside the university.
Additional application guidelines:
- Your Essay A, Essay B, Essay C, and Short Story each must be formatted in the following way before being combined as a single PDF: one page, single spaced, and Times New Roman, 12 point font size.
- In addition to your one page Essay B, make sure to include a one page bibliography. Your citations and bibliography must be formatted in the MLA style.
- Your essays, bibliography, story and transcript should be combined into one PDF and uploaded into the portal.
- All documents must be PDF files and will not be uploaded if they are not.
- If you have not saved the previous sections, please click the Previous button and do so before exiting the application.
Application is located at: http://launchportal.tamu.edu/
To be invited to apply for the University Scholars program, students must
- Be a second semester Freshman at Texas A&M University-College Station
- Have established a cumulative GPR of 3.5 or better
The selection committee looks for candidates looks for candidates who demonstrate:
- intellectual curiosity and adaptability
- a depth of critical thinking and self-awareness
- poise, maturity, and professionalism
- awareness of national and global issues
- the ability to engage in rigorous conversation
- Applications typically open January 15, 2019
- Application deadline is February 18, 2019 at 5pm.
- Finalists are notified in late March
- Interviews: April 9, 2019 - April 11, 2019
- Final Decisions: Sent out by June 1, 2019