Updated on 7/21/2020: In-person Undergraduate Resarch Guidelines from the Office of the Provost
As part of planning for the fall 2020 term, the following guidance is provided for in-person undergraduate research. This guidance applies to all undergraduate research activities including, but not limited to, credit-bearing research experiences, paid employment on a research project, paid lab-based student workers, organized undergraduate research programs, and research-oriented volunteer activities.
- Research projects that students can complete remotely are exempt from these guidelines.
- Unless previously approved prior to the start of the summer 2020 term, no undergraduate students may begin credit-bearing experiences or new paid research positions prior to the start of the fall 2020 term.
- Research supervisors wishing to host undergraduate researchers or student workers in research positions in fall 2020 must provide their department head with a document describing:
- COVID-related safety measures ongoing in the research space including face covering, cleaning, physical distancing, and other measures as appropriate; the addition of undergraduate students in the research space must accommodate 6 ft physical distancing.
- All research-specific safety training (COVID- and facility/space-related) that undergraduate students will be required to complete prior to initiation of research activities.
Research supervisors who choose not to host undergraduate researchers for credit-bearing experiences should refer students to their academic advisor for any related adjustments to the student’s fall course schedule.
Updated on 6/8/2020:
On June 8, 2020, Vice President for Research Mark A. Barteau issued Plans for Resumption of Clinical and Human Participant Research, Education, and Service Activities.
Updated on 5/20/2020:
On May 20, 2020, Vice President for Research Mark A. Barteau released Guidance on Graduate Student and Undergraduate Student Researchers
as Texas A&M University prepared to implement its Plan for Resuming Research Operations
Updated on 5/5/2020:
Students who are required to complete undergraduate research as part of their degree plans for graduation should seek guidance from their departments and colleges regarding interruptions due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Updated on 4/13/2020:
The LAUNCH Recognition Ceremony has been postponed and will be rescheduled at a time that coincides with the May 2020 graduation ceremonies. LAUNCH will distribute Honors Fellows and Undergraduate Research Scholars medallions at the rescheduled LAUNCH Recognition Ceremony and May 2020 graduation ceremonies when those take place. We are not mailing graduation regalia.
Updated on 3/15/2020:
Effective Thursday, March 19, 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
LAUNCH is moving all appointments, meetings, courses, and programming online. No face to face meetings will be accepted and Henderson Hall will be locked. Please contact LAUNCH staff