The 2023-2024 application closed on September 11, 2023 at 11:59 AM Central Time.
The 2024-2025 application will open in Summer 2024.
Eligible students can apply to the Undergraduate Research Scholars (URS) thesis program each year between June and September. The URS application consists of two parts
- Part 1: Intent to Apply
- Part 2: Completed application template submitted to the Scholars Thesis Submittal System (STSS) that includes:
- Research compliance acknowledgement
- Contingency plan
Part 1 is an online form documenting your intent to apply to the URS program. Download the Part 1 Planning Document to see what questions you will be asked during Part 1. Copy and paste your information from the Part 1 Planning Document into the online form.
*You must log in with your TAMU NetID and Password.
Part 2 is comprised of a fillable Word document students will complete, save, and upload into the official Scholars Thesis Submittal System (STSS). Use of the fillable Word document is required. Students must refer to the Part 2 Application Instructions & Examples Guide to complete this application.
Students must upload a completed template on Page 4 (Upload Files) of the STSS. See the special note for Team Applications.
*You must log in with your TAMU NetID and Password.
Special Note: Team Applications
- Undergraduate Research Scholars teams may consist of 2-5 students working with the same faculty advisor.
- ALL team members must individually submit both parts of the application. Part 2 of the application must be identical for all members. We recommend that all team members work together to submit all parts the application.
- During the application stage, teams must select one member as the Primary Contact. This member will be the primary point of contact for all submissions and correspondence in the URS program.
- Note: Faculty advisors must individually approve each team member's application.
What happens after I submit my application?
- Faculty Advisor Approval: After students complete both parts of the application, faculty advisors must review and approve the application in the STSS. The LAUNCH: UGR office cannot fully process applications until faculty advisor approval has been submitted.
- Revisions: LAUNCH: UGR staff will review faculty-approved applications and may return them for revisions. Take note of individual deadlines provided by proposal reviewers in any revisions request emails you receive. Always notify your faculty advisor if your submission has been returned to you for revisions.
- Program Acceptance: Official acceptance into the URS program is granted by the LAUNCH office and must be completed within the deadlines given for revisions. Students and faculty advisors will each receive a separate notice from LAUNCH: UGR when all approvals have been processed and students have officially been accepted into the program. Depending on when students submit, faculty advisor approval is received, and revisions requests are addressed, students may receive program acceptance notifications as late as the first week of October.
Honor and Student Conduct Code Acknowledgement
Any type of honor or student conduct code violation from student rules will result in a review and possible dismissal from the program. Additionally, any type of honor or student conduct code violation after completion of the program will result in a review and ineligibility to receive the Undergraduate Research Scholar honors transcript distinction.
- Students in the URS thesis program must be in good standing at the university while they are in the program, at the time of graduation distinction audit, and through graduation to be eligible for the Undergraduate Research Scholar honors transcript distinction.
- Students who receive the F* sanction for academic misconduct at any time from entry to Texas A&M University through graduation are ineligible to participate in the URS program or receive the Undergraduate Research Scholar honors transcript distinction.
- Students who have been found responsible for a violation of the Student Conduct Code and sanctioned with suspension or expulsion at any time from entry to Texas A&M University through graduation, or any sanction that has resulted in their not being in good disciplinary standing while they are in the program, at the time of graduation distinction audit, and through graduation are ineligible to participate in the URS program or receive the Undergraduate Research Scholar honors transcript distinction upon final resolution of their case.
- Students may not be awarded the Undergraduate Research Scholar honors transcript distinction retroactively after completing the Academic Integrity Development Program.
In summary, our policy is that students must:
- Currently be and remain in good standing (prior offenses where students were not in good standing are not considered if the student is in good standing at the time they apply to the program through graduation)
- Have never received an F* from entry to Texas A&M University through graduation
- Have never received a sanction of suspension or expulsion from entry to Texas A&M University through graduation
Want to see examples of the new URS thesis templates? Visit the URS Resources page
Questions about research compliance? Visit the Research Compliance & Biosafety website
Don’t have a faculty research advisor? Attend one of our monthly Getting Started in Research workshops or other campus-wide events
to get advice from faculty, staff and students currently involved in research activities.
View our upcoming events schedule